|Home||Blog||Freedom Potentials||The Cross Roads||Veritas Books|
|Newtimes Survey||Podcast Archive||Video Archive||PDF Archive|
|Actionist Corner||YouTube Video Channel||BitChute Video Channel||Brighteon Video Channel||Social Credit Archive|
On Target Britain
Food for Thought: On 21st September, 2002, the President signed the National Security Strategy of the United States, which laid out a new policy in that the U.S.A. would maintain its strategic supremacy, and that it would reserve the right to use pre-emptive force against any threats to its hegemony, and would act without the approval of the United Nations, and without allies if need be.
The Canadian Intelligence Service(1)
WITHOUT A COMPASS ON THE GLOBAL FREEWAY
DRIVING AND NAVIGATING IN THE DARK
Do We Know Where We Are Going?
Clearly, one cannot ignore the ability of the Far East to produce goods of quality at low cost (Comment, 28th February). In Neil Collin's view, we in Britain will prosper by designing, developing and marketing the products. How long does he think that this state of affairs will last? Does he seriously believe that, having the dynamism and the acquired ability to produce these things, the overseas manufacturers will continue to let us have the cream, and not develop their own products and brands? Furthermore, much of the design skill and engineering and scientific expertise will blossom within the manufacturing companies themselves, and from within their local suppliers who will make the components and machinery for those factories. With the loss of manufacturing in Britain, the exposure of would-be designers and technicians to the complex requirements and challenges of making things is lost, and the pool of expertise is progressively diminished.
Driving Blind - Who Gets What And Who Goes Where?
The vast international money market that is the lifeblood of investment and our prosperity - or otherwise - is controlled by the Global Power brokers, the Ruling Elite whose tentacles extend to Elite Establishments and the reaches of elected governments. Except in a negative sense it has little relevance to the needs and often the meagre subsistence of millions of ordinary people across the world. Agriculture and food production are classic examples. Just how little this relevance was conveyed by the Financial Times on 14th March, 2005, with this comment on the high-yield debt market:
It's like a game of musical chairs. You just hope it is somebody else that gets hurt when the music stops.
We see our potential fate as a nation sign-posted in a report that Germany, apparently unilaterally, proposed to undertake overseas military commitments as part of Nato in return for United States support for a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council. Whilst seemingly few British Members of Parliament are conversant with the proposed European Union Constitution, the Spanish Foreign Minister, Miguel Angel Moratinos, has reportedly gone ahead of the game:
Mr Moratinos declared "We are witnessing the last remnants of national politics". And asked if the treaty would strip, parliaments like Westminster of the right to set their own laws he replied "Absolutely". He said they had already signed away power to run their own economy, legal system and human rights rules. The next step will be to form a Europe-wide foreign policy and merge the armed forces into a single E.U. army. Mr Moratinos said the Constitution would lead to a "surrender of member states sovereignty". He told an E.U. think-tank that patriotism will be swept away as we all become Europeans. The member states have already relinquished control of justice, liberty and security".
It is natural for Americans to like the sound of the word "constitution". They have the best one ever written in a single document. It consists, in the copy I have before me, of 12 pages, 11 if you exclude the list of the men who signed it. There are also amendments added over the past two centuries: they amount to another nine pages. If President Bush tucked himself up with it at his famously early bedtime of 9.30, he could finish it well before 10. I should be surprised if the State Department, the Washington faction keenest on turning Mr Bush into a Euro enthusiast, has encouraged him to go to bed with a copy of the European Constitution. My copy, published by T.S.O. (note that the former name Her Majesty's Stationery Office has quietly been relegated), is 511 pages long. I do not claim it would keep Mr Bush up all night in fact, I guarantee that, if he tried to read it, he would still be asleep by 10 but it would wake him and the First Lady up with a start as it slipped from his nerveless hands and crashed, all 2lb 8oz of it, on the floor. If he did spend 20 minutes with the document, however, the President would see that it was not what is normally meant by a constitution. Rather than confining itself to the division of powers by which a country should be governed head of state, parliament, judiciary, what's local and what's national it lays out scores of pages telling people how to run their lives. It supports positive discrimination, outlaws the death penalty in all circumstances, commits itself to high public spending, compulsory consultation with trade unions about changes at work, "the exchange of youth workers", "fat free breakfasts", "distance education" and "the physical and moral integrity of sportsmen and sportswomen" (I made one of these up). And it imposes all these on nations that have their own governments and electorates. It also contains a great bundle of miscellaneous provisions about such things as abortion in Malta, "Hot Rolling Mills Nos 1 and 2" for a steel company in the Czech Republic, some rather frightening looking stuff about the nuclear power plant in Slovakia and "the right to provide services by natural persons who do not enjoy hembygdsrcittlkotiseutuoikeus (regional citizenship) in Åland". This is not a constitution, certainly not a constitution intended to be understood by those it affects. It is a vast agglomeration of decisions made by governments to take power over citizens of vastly differing countries.
The hidden agenda tucked neatly away in this
caustic critique was, of course, that of tying the United Kingdom, not
to an European "state". Far from arguing for British sovereignty,
Moore was postulating the alternative case; that for a vassal state
of the United States:
THE INSTITUTIONAL TERRORISM OF THE TWIN TOWERS
The Mutation Of Lenin's Deaf Mute Blindmen
Popular concepts of American invincibility dissolved with the magnitude of the historic catastrophe on 11th September. The public shock wave was followed swiftly by searching questions about an attack that had been forecast and the failure of established counter-measures. That these questions persist was evident in a New York Times report as recently as 10th February, 2005 that "U.S. received 52 warnings before 9-11". Other unanswered questions remain despite an official investigation: fragmentation of - or deliberate intervention in - the operational and intelligence chain, including the United States Air Force, the Federal Aviation Authority (F.A.A.), the Pentagon, the White House, the C.I.A. and the F.B.I.; the unusual configuration of the collapse of the Twin Towers with a vertical implosion consistent with planned demolition, rather than a lateral collapse; a ground level explosion immediately prior to the aircraft strike, disappearance of the "black box" flight recorders and swift removal of vital evidence from the debris. Black Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney went further in claiming that the Administration of President George W, Bush had had prior knowledge of the attack. Here the plot thickens. Rapid expansion of the Internet has meant that circulation of reports and assessments by reputable analysts are not easily suppressed. Perceptions depend on the extent to which one is able to peel away the layers of a conceptual "onion". Opinion is hardening that not only did certain elements of the Bush Administration know of the impending attack, but that they were involved in its orchestration; something probably only the monolithic domestic Power behind Bush has been able so far to suppress. William Engdahl, author of the definitive Anglo-American Oil Power and the New World Order(9) has written:
Michael Kane wrote of the complex relations with, and involvement of, the Saudi Arabian Monarchy. He wrote of an advanced computer system that had been capable of overriding, and inserting false data in, other computer networks such as that operated by the F.A.A. Moreover, that this had been employed on 11th September, 2001, by an elite group under Vice-President Dick Cheney(10). Here are some brief edited extracts:
At the heart of our story is a programme (we'll call it Ptech, after the company that produced it) that combines artificial intelligence, datamining, and "interoperability", the capacity for one programme to read, operate, and modify the source codes of other programmes. The computational power of the Ptech evolution of PROMIS represents a daunting new surveillance and intervention capability in the hands of the same elites who planned 9-11, prosecute the subsequent resource wars, and are presiding over what may become a full economic and military disaster for the resource consuming citizens of America and the world. [Although not expanded in our text, PROMIS appears to be a mnemonic derived from programme to read, operate, and modify the source codes of other programmes - Ed.] Since the "War On Terror" and the coming dollar-fossil fuel collapse will necessitate new levels of domestic repression, this is just the capability those elites require. Ptech is the functional equivalent of Total Information Awareness. The human side of Ptech is where the thievery and murder come in; among the financiers and programmers of Ptech are apparent members of an international network of organized criminals involved in decades of narcotraffic, gunrunning, money laundering, and terrorism. Their personal and professional connections reach up into the highest levels of the American government, and their activities are still underway.
Wreathing Smoke And Smoky Mirrors
25. Summer 2001 The online newswire online.ie
reports on 14th September that an Iranian man phones United States law
enforcement to warn of an imminent attack on the World Trade Centre
(W.T.C.) in the week of 9th September. German police confirm the calls
but state that the United States Secret Service would not reveal any
26. Summer, 2001 Jordanian Intelligence, the G.I.D., makes a communications intercept deemed so important that King Abdullah's men relay it to Washington, probably through the C.I.A. station in Amman. To make doubly sure the message got through it was passed through an Arab intermediary to a German intelligence agent. The message: A major attack was planned inside the United States, and aircraft would be used. The code name of the operation was "The Big Wedding." "When it became clear that the information was embarrassing to Bush Administration officials and Congressmen who at first denied that there had been any such warnings before 11th September, senior Jordanian officials backed away from their earlier confirmations". This case was authenticated by A.B.C. reporter John K. Cooley. (International Herald Tribune (I.H.T.), 21st May, 2002).
27. Summer 2001 (est.) The National Security Agency intercepts telephone conversations between bin Laden aide Khalid Shaikh Mohammed and Mohammed Atta and does not share the information with any other agencies. (Jonathan Landay, Knight Ridder Newspapers, 6th June, 2002).
28. 26th June, 2001 The magazine indiareacts.com states that "India and Iran will 'facilitate' United States and Russian plans for 'limited military action' against the Taliban". The story indicates that the fighting will be done by United States and Russian troops with the help of Tajikistan and Uzbekistan. (indiareacts.com, 26th June, 2001).
30. 4th - 14th July, 2001 Osama bin Laden receives
treatment for kidney disease at the American hospital in Dubai and meets
with a C.I.A. official, who returns to C.I.A. Headquarters on 15th July.
(Le Figaro, 31st October, 2001
31. 15th July, 2001 Members of the G8 (group of leading economic nations), meeting in Genoa, Italy, discuss the Taliban, pipelines, and the handing over of Osama bin Laden. According to Pakistani representative Ambassador Naiz Naik, the United States delegation, led by former Clinton Ambassador to Pakistan Tom Simmons warned of a "military option" if the Taliban did not change position. (Jean-Charles Brisard and Guillaume Dasquie, Bin Laden: La Verite Interdite, pp 76 7. Thanks to Prof. Peter Dale Scott).
32. July, 2001 Immediately after the G8 Summit three American officials Tom Simmons (former United States Ambassador to Pakistan), Kari Inderfurth (former Assistant Secretary of State for South Asian affairs) and Lee Coldren (former State Department expert on South Asia) meet with Pakistani and Russian Intelligence Officers in Berlin and tell them that the United States is planning military strikes against Afghanistan in October. A French book released in November, Bin Laden La Verite Interdite, discloses that Taliban representatives often sat in on the meetings. British papers confirm that the Pakistani I.S.I. relayed the threats to the Taliban. (The Guardian, 22nd September, 2001; the B.B.C., 18th September, 2001; The Inter Press Service, 16th November, 2001; Alexander's Gas and Oil Connections, 21st February, 2002).
33. July, 2001 The G8 summit at Genoa, Italy is surrounded by antiaircraft guns, and local airspace is closed off after Italian and Egyptian officials (including President Hosni Mubarak) warn American Intelligence that airliners stuffed with explosives might be used to attack President Bush. United States officials state that the warnings were "unsubstantiated". (But I wonder if they would have taken away the anti aircraft artillery?) (Los Angeles Times, 27th September, 2001).
34. 26th July, 2001 C.B.S. News reports that John Ashcroft has stopped flying commercial airlines due a threat assessment. Ashcroft told the press that he didn't know anything about what had caused it.
35. 2nd August, 2001 United States Ambassador
to Pakistan, Christine Rocca (a former C.I.A. officer), meets in Islamabad
with a Taliban Ambassador and demands the extradition of [Osama] bin
Laden. This was the last known meeting on the subject. (Brisard and
Dasquie, p 79. Thanks to Professor Peter Dale Scott).
37. 11th or 12th August, 2001 - United States Navy Lieutenant Delmart "Mike" Vreeland, jailed in Toronto on United States fraud charges and claiming to be an officer with United States Naval Intelligence, writes details of the pending W.T.C. attacks and seals them in an envelope, which he gives to Canadian authorities. (The Toronto Star, 23rd October, 2001; Toronto Superior Court Records).
38. August, 2001 As reported in the International Herald Tribune both a French magazine (name not given) and a Moroccan newspaper simultaneously report that a Moroccan agent named Hassan Dabou had penetrated al Qa'eda to the point of getting close to bin Laden, who was "very disappointed" that the 1993 bombing had not toppled the W.T.C. Dabou was called to the United States after reporting this, which curtailed his ability to stay in touch with the organization and gather additional intelligence that might have prevented the attacks. Though not proved beyond a doubt, these stories have been met with a wall of silence. (International Herald Tribune, 21st May, 2002).
39. August 2001 Russian President Vladimir Putin orders Russian Intelligence to warn the United States Government "in the strongest possible terms" of imminent attacks on airports and government buildings. (M.S.N.B.C. interview with Putin, 15th September, 2001).
40. August 2001 President Bush receives classified intelligence briefings at his Crawford, Texas ranch indicating that Osama bin Laden might be planning to hijack commercial airliners. (C.B.S. News; C.N.N., 15th May, 2002)
41. late August 2001 Prince Turki, the pro United States head of Saudi Intelligence (also known to be close to Osama bin Laden), is replaced by his more neutral half-brother, Prince Nawwaf who is an ally of Crown Prince Abdullah. (Saudi Arabian Information Resource, 31st August, 2001; http:llwww.saudinf.com Thanks to Prof. Peter Dale Scott).
42. August-September, 2001 The Dow ]ones Industrial Average drops nearly 900 points in the three weeks prior to the attack. A major stock market crash is imminent.
44. 3rd - 10th September, 2001 M.S.N.B.C. reports on 16th September that a caller to a Cayman Islands radio talk show gave several warnings of an imminent attack on the United States by bin Laden in the week prior to 9 11.
45. Early September 2001 An F.B.I. internal document, based upon field notes from Minnesota field agents, discloses that the agents had been investigating and had questioned the "20th hijacker", Zacarias Moussaoui. The field notes speculate that Moussaoui, who had been taking flight lessons, might crash an airliner into the W.T.C. Interestingly, the field agents' requests to obtain a search warrant for his personal computer were denied. French Intelligence confirms to the F.B.I. that Moussaoui has ties to terrorist groups and may have travelled to Afghanistan. The agents also had no knowledge of the Phoenix memo (See Item 21). One news story states that agents were in "a frenzy", absolutely convinced that he was "going to do something with a plane". (Newsweek, 20th May, 2002 issue, story by Michael Isikoff)..
46. 1st - 10th September, 2001 In an exercise, called Operation "Swift Sword" and planned for four years, 23,000 British troops are steaming toward Oman. Although the 9 11 attacks caused a hiccup in the deployment, the massive operation was implemented as planned. At the same time two United States carrier battle groups arrive on station in the Gulf of Arabia just off the Pakistani coast. Also at the same time, some 17,000 United States troops join more than 23,000 NATO troops in Egypt for Operation "Bright Star". All of these forces are in place before the first plane hits the W.T.C.. (The Guardian; C.N.N.; Fox; The Observer; International Law Professor Francis Boyle, the University of Illinois).
48. 5th September, 2001 "Five hundred websites
many of them with an Arab or Muslim connection crash when an anti terrorism
taskforce raids InfoCom Corp. in Texas", reported Britain's The
Guardian on 10th September, 2001. A taskforce of approximately 80 federal
agents and officials from the F.B.I., Secret Service, I.N.S., Customs,
Bureau of Diplomatic Security, I.R.S., and Commerce Department occupied
InfoCom's office building in the Dallas suburb of Richardson, Texas
for four days, "copying every hard disc they could find".
InfoCom hosts many websites for Middle Eastern clients and is located
across the street from the Holy Land Foundation, a charitable organization
which has been alleged to have connections with terrorist groups. InfoCom's
vice President of marketing, Ghassan Elashi, is also the Chairman of
the Holy Land Foundation. (The Guardian, 10th September 10, 2001;
49. 7th September, 2001 Florida Governor Jeb Bush signs a two year emergency executive order (01 261) making new provisions for the Florida National Guard to assist law enforcement and emergency management personnel in the event of large civil disturbances, disaster or acts of terrorism. (State of Florida website listing of Governor's executive orders).
50. 6th -7th September, 2001 Put options (a speculation that the stock will go down) totalling 4,744 are purchased on United Air Lines stock, as opposed to only 396 call options (speculation that the stock will go up). This is a dramatic and abnormal increase in sales of put options. Many of the United "puts" are purchased through Deutschebank-A.B. Brown, a firm managed until 1998 by the current executive director of the C.I.A., A.B. "Buzzy" Krongard. (The Herzliyya International Policy Institute for Counterterrorism (I.C.T.), https://www.ict.org.il/, 21st September, 2001 (Note: The I.C.T. article on possible terrorist insider trading appeared eight days *after* the 9-11 attacks.); The New York Times; The Wall Street Journal; The San Francisco Chronicle, 19th September, 2001).
51. 10th September, 2001 "Put" options totaling 4,516 are purchased on American Airlines as compared to 748 call options. (Herzliyya Institute above).
52. 6th - 11th September, 2001 No other airlines show any similar trading patterns to those experienced by United and American. The put option purchases on both airlines were 600 per cent above normal. This at a time when Reuters (10th September) issues a business report stating, "Airline stocks may be poised to take off".
54. 2001 2002 It has been documented that the
C.I.A., the Israeli Mossad, and many other intelligence agencies monitor
stock trading in real time using highly advanced programmes reported
to be descended from Promis software. This is to alert national intelligence
services of just such kinds of attacks. Promis was reported as recently
as June, 2001, to be in Osama bin Laden's possession and, as a result
of recent stories by Fox, both the F.B.I. and the Justice Department
have confirmed its use for United States Intelligence gathering through
at least summer 2002. This would confirm that C.I.A. had additional
advance warning of imminent attacks. (The Washington Times, 15th June,
2001; Fox, 16th October, 2001;
55. 9th September, 2001 President George W. Bush is presented with detailed war plans to overthrow al Qa'eda, according to United States and foreign sources speaking to N.B.C. News. (M.S.N.B.C., 16th May, 2002. Thanks to Prof. Peter Dale Scott).
56. 10th September, 2001 This item has been removed solely at the request of the party previously named in this entry. Recent court proceedings which occurred after the news story we had cited have indicated that there was no connection between the story listed here, the person named therein and the attacks of 9-11 01. At the request of the previously named party, FTW has replaced the $1,000 reward with a $1,000 donation to The Childrens Defence Fund on behalf of the named party and the issue is now amicably resolved without any hard feelings between that party and FTW
57. 10th September, 2001 According to Newsweek, a group of top Pentagon officials suddenly cancelled travel plans for the next morning, apparently because of security concerns. (Newsweek, 24th September, 2001).
58. 10th September, 2001 The Houston Chronicle
reports the F.B.I. was notified of a fifth grader from a Dallas suburb
who told his teacher, "Tomorrow, World War 111 will begin. It will
begin in the United States, and the United States will lose". The
Chronicle was unclear on specifically when Garland, Texas school district
officials told the F.B.I. about the incident, but it was some time between
13th September, 2001 and the story's publication date of 19th September,
2001. (Houston Chronicle, 19th September, 2001.
59. 10th September, 2001 San Francisco Mayor Willie Brown receives a call from what he described as "his security people at the airport" eight hours before the terrorist attacks "advising him that Americans should be cautious about their air travel", as reported by the San Francisco Chronicle. Brown was scheduled to fly to New York from San Francisco International Airport. He told the Chronicle the call "didn't come in any alarming fashion, which is why I'm hesitant to make any alarming statement". (San Francisco Chronicle, 12th September, 2001; https://www.sfgate.com/today/0912_chron_mnreport.shtm).
60. 11th September, 2001 The National Reconnaissance
Office (N.R.O.), the federal agency that runs many of the nation's spy
satellites, schedules an exercise involving a plane crashing into one
of the agency's buildings. "On the morning of 11th September, 2001",
according to a website advertising a homeland security conference in
Chicago run by the National Law Enforcement and Security Institute,
C.I.A. official John Fulton and his team "were running a preplanned
simulation to explore the emergency response issues that would be created
if a plane were to strike a building. Little did they know that the
scenario would come true in a dramatic way". Fulton is the head
of the N.R.O.'s strategic gaming division. (National Law Enforcement
and Security Institute;
61. 11th September, 2001 After the attacks on the World Trade Centrer and Pentagon occur, National Public Radio's congressional correspondent David Welna reports, "I spoke with congressman Ike Skelton, a Democrat from Missouri and a member of the Armed Services Committee, who said that just recently the director of the C.I.A. warned that there could be an attack an imminent attack on the United States of this nature. So this is not entirely unexpected". ( https://www.thememoryhole.org/updates.htm).
62. 11th September, 2001 United Air Lines flight 23, scheduled to fly from New York City to Los Angeles was delayed after four Muslim passengers began demanding that the plane take off immediately. This happened apparently after the first plane had hit the W.T.C. The passengers were thrown off the flight. (The Globe and Mail, 13th June, 2002).
63. 11th September, 2001 General Mahmud of the I.S.I. (see serial 18), friend of Mohammed Atta, is visiting Washington on behalf of the Taliban. He is meeting with the Chairmen of the House and Senate Intelligence Committees, Representative Porter Goss, Republican, Florida., and Senator Bob Graham, Democrat, Florida., (M.S.N.B.C., 7th October 2001; The New York Times, 17th February, 2002).
65. 11th September, 2001 For 50 minutes, from 8:15 am until 9:05 am, with it widely known within the F.A.A. and the military that four planes have been simultaneously hijacked and taken off course, no one notifies the President of the United States. It is not until 9:30 that any Air Force planes are scrambled to intercept, but by then it is too late. This means that the National Command Authority waited for 75 minutes before scrambling aircraft, even though it was known that four simultaneous hijackings had occurred. (Source: C.N.N.; A.B.C.; M.S.N.B.C.; Los Angeles Times; The New York Times; www.tenc.net).
66. 11th - 12th September, 2001 Nearly a month before the first reported outbreak, White House officials start taking the powerful antibiotic Cipro to treat anthrax. By the end of the year it will be known that the Ames strain of anthrax used in the attacks against Senators Leahy and Daschle was produced by C.I.A. programmes coordinated through Fort Detrick, the Batelle Memorial Institute and the Dugway Proving Ground. (N.B.C.; C.N.N.; www.tetrahedron.org and www.judicialwatch.orq).
67. 13th September, 2001 China is admitted to the World Trade Organisation quickly, after years of unsuccessful attempts. (The New York Times, 30th September 30, 2001).
68. 14th September, 2001 Canadian jailers open the sealed envelope from Mike Vreeland in Toronto and see that it describes attacks against the W.T.C. and Pentagon. The United States Navy subsequently states that Vreeland was discharged as a seaman in 1986 for unsatisfactory performance and has never worked in intelligence. (The Toronto Star, 23rd October, 2001; Toronto Superior Court records).
69. 15th September, 2001 The New York Times reports that Mayo Shattuck III has resigned, effective immediately, as head of the Alex Brown (A.B.) unit of Deutschebank.
70. 29th September, 20011 The San Francisco Chronicle reports that $2,500,000 million in "put" options on American and United airlines are unclaimed. This is likely the result of the suspension in trading on the New York Stock Exchange after the attacks, which gave the Securities and Exchange Commission time to be waiting when the owners showed up to redeem their put options.
72. 11th October, 2001 The Ashcroft Justice Department takes over all terrorist prosecutions from the United States Attorney's office in New York, which has had a highly successful track record in prosecuting terrorist cases connected to Osama bin Laden. (The New York Times, 11th October, 2001).
73. Mid October 2001 The Dow Jones Industrial Average, after having suffered a precipitous drop has recovered most of its pre attack losses. Although still weak and vulnerable to negative earnings reports, a crash has been averted by a infusion of government spending on defence programmes, subsidies for "affected" industries and planned tax cuts for corporations.
74. 29th October, 2001 The Bush Administration
drafts "an executive order that would usher in a new era of secrecy
for presidential records and allow an incumbent president to withhold
a former president's papers even if the former president wanted to make
them public", wrote the Washington Post. The order also required
members of the public to prove "at least a demonstrated, specific
need" for a president's papers to be released. Critics contend
this would overturn the 1978 Presidential Records Act, which releases
documents after 12 years. The White House maintained that a Supreme
Court decision in 1977 allows presidents various privileges for their
records. (Washington Post, 1st November, 2001;
75. 21st November, 2001 The British paper The Independent runs a story headlined, "Opium Farmers Rejoice at the Defeat of the Taliban". The story reports that massive opium planting is underway all over the country.
76. 25th November, 2001 The Observer runs a story headlined "Victorious Warlords Set To Open the Opium Floodgates". It states that farmers are being encouraged by warlords allied with the victorious Americans are "being encouraged to plant as much opium as possible".
77. 4th December, 2001 Convicted drug lord and opium kingpin Ayub Afridi is recruited by the United States Government to help establish control in Afghanistan by unifying various Pashtun warlords. The former opium smuggler who was one of the C.I.A.'s leading assets in the war against the Russians is released from prison in order to do this. (The Asia Times Online. 4th December, 2001).
78. 25th December, 2001 Newly appointed Afghani President Hamid Karzai is revealed as being a former paid consultant for Unocal. (Le Monde).
79. 3rd Jananuary, 2002 President Bush appoints
Zalmy Khalilzad as a special envoy to Afghanistan. Khalilzad, a former
employee of Unocal, also wrote op-eds in the Washington Post in 1997
supporting the Taliban regime. (Pravda, 9th January, 2002).
81. 10th January, 2002 In a call from a speaker phone in open court, attorneys for Mike Vreeland call the Pentagon's switchboard operator, who confirms that Vreeland is indeed a naval lieutenant on active duty. She provides an office number and a direct dial phone extension to his office in the Pentagon. (Attorney Rocco Galati; Toronto Superior Court records).
82. 10th January, 2002 Attorney General John Ashcroft recuses himself from the Enron investigation because Enron had been a major campaign donor in his 2000 Senate race. He fails to recuse himself from involvement in two sitting federal grand juries investigating bribery and corruption charges against ExxonMobil and BP Amoco, which have massive oil interests in Central Asia. Both were major Ashcroft donors in 2000. (C.N.N., 10th January, 2002; FTW "The Elephant in the Living Room, Part 1", 4th April, 2002; https://www.fromthewilderness.com/free/ww3/04_ 04_ 02_ elephant.html).
83. 23rd January, 2002 Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl is kidnapped in Pakistan. Pearl is reported dead on 21st February. Lead suspect Ahmad Umar Sheik, former colleague of General Ahmad, is arrested on 12th February and named as the lead suspect in the kidnapping and murder. Legal sources close to the Pakistani government tell FTW that Pearl was investigating the I.S.I.. (CNN.com).
84. 9th February, 2002 Pakistani leader General Musharraf and Afghan leader Hamid Karzai announce their agreement to "cooperate in all spheres of activity", including the proposed Central Asian pipeline. Pakistan will give $10,000,000 to Afghanistan to help pay Afghan government workers. (The Irish Times, 9th February 2002).
85. 18th February, 2002 The Financial Times reports that the estimated opium harvest in Afghanistan in the late spring 2002 will reach a world record 4,500 metric tons.
86. Mid April, 2002 World Bank chief James Wolfensohn, at the opening of the World Bank's offices in Kabul, states he has held talks about financing the Trans Afghanistan gas pipeline. He confirms $100,000,000 in new grants for the interim Afghani government. Wolfensohn also states that a number of companies have already expressed interest in the project. (Alexander's Gas and Oil Connections, citing an Agence France Presse story]
87. 13th May, 2002 The B.B.C. reports that Afghanistan
is about to close a deal for construction of the $2,000,000,000 gas
pipeline to run from Turkmenistan to Pakistan and India. The story states,
"work on the project will start after an agreement is expected
to be struck" at a summit scheduled for the end of the month. Unocal
will build the pipeline. (B.B.C., 13th May, 2002).
89. 30th May, 2002 Afghanistan's interim leader,
Hamid Karzai, Turkmenistan's President Niyazov, and Pakistani President
Musharraf meet in Islamabad to sign a memorandum of understanding on
the trans Afghanistan gas pipeline project. The three leaders will meet
for more talks on the project in October. The Turkmen Afghan Pakistani
gas pipeline accord has been published and can be viewed at the following
90. 16th May, 2002 White House Press Secretary Ari Fleischer states unequivocally that while President Bush had been warned of possible hijackings, "The president did not not receive information about the use of airplanes as missiles by suicide bombers". (C.B.S. News, 15th May, 2002).
91. 19th May, 2002 Former F.B.I. Agent Tyrone
Powers, now a professor at Anne Arundel Community College, states on
radio station KISS 98.7 that he has credible evidence suggesting that
the Bush Administration did in fact allow the 11th Sepember attacks
to further a hidden agenda.
92. 31st May, 2002 F.B.I. Agent Robert Wright delivers a tearful press conference at the National Press Club describing his lawsuit against the F.B.I. for deliberately curtailing investigations that might have prevented the 9-11 attacks. He uses words like "prevented", "thwarted", "obstructed", "threatened", "intimidated", and "retaliation" to describe the actions of his superiors in blocking his attempts to shut off money flows to al Qaeda and other terrorist groups. These are not words of negligence. They are words describing deliberate and malicious actions. (C SPAN website).
93. 4th June, 2002 Air Force Lieutenant Colonel Steve Butler, who had called President Bush a joke and accused him of allowing the 11th September attacks to happen, is suspended from his post at the Defense Language School in Monterey, California and could face a court martial. (Press, 4th June, 2002).
95. 17th June, 2002 Reuters reports that Butler's case has been resolved without the necessity of a court martial. (I guess so. There's enough material here to prove him right. M.C.R.). (Reuters, 17th June, 2002).
96. 2nd July, 2002 Motions from Zacarias Moussaoui are unsealed in federal court, indicating that Moussaoui wants to testify before both a Grand Jury and Congress about the 11th Sepember attacks. Moussaoui claims to have information showing that the United States Government wanted the attacks to happen. (The Washington Post, 3rd July, 2002).
97. 3rd July, 2002 The first ever shipment of Russian oil, 200,000 metric tons, arrives in Houston. (The Moscow Times, 6th July, 2002).
98. 6th July, 2002 Afghan Vice President Hajji Abdul Qadir is assassinated by Afghan warlords. The New York Times reports that Qadir may have been assassinated by opium warlords upset by Qadir's efforts to reduce the rampant opium farming and processing that has taken place since the United States occupation. Qadir had been overseeing a Western backed eradication programme, according to the Times. However, the opium warlords of the region are same ones sponsored, protected, and in some cases released from prison by the C.I.A. and who have been protected by President Bush's special envoy, Zalmay Khalilzad. It is reported that the raw opium is being refined near United States bases at Kandahar. (The New York Times, 8th July, 2002; Far Eastern Economic Review, 18th April, 2002).
99. 26th July, 2002 White House security prevented the legal watchgroup Judicial Watch from serving Vice President Cheney with a lawsuit filed on behalf of Halliburton shareholders. Before becoming vice president Cheney was C.E.O. of Halliburton, which has filed for bankruptcy. (Cybercast News Service, cnsnews.com).
100. 2nd August 2002 The F.B.I. asked members of the House and Senate Intelligence Committees to take lie detector tests as investigators try to determine who leaked information to C.N.N. about communications in Arabic that made vague references to an impending attack on the United States. The communications were intercepted by the National Security Agency on 10th September, but weren't translated until 12th September. (Associated Press story published in the Boston Globe, 2nd August, 2002; https://www.truthout.org/docs 02108.03A.fbi.lie.det.p.htm).
101. 5th August, 2002 The Associated Press reported
Russia's major role over the last five years in the trafficking of Afghan
heroin into Europe. (Santa Fe New Mexican, 5th August, 2002
103. 28th August, 2002 The Globe and Mail of Canada reports Afghanistan will become the world's top producer of opium this year, surpassing Southeast Asia. (The Globe and Mail, 28th Auguat, 2002).
Now, let's go back to the 31st October, 2001, story by Le Figaro the one that has Osama bin Laden meeting with a C.I.A. officer in Dubai in July, 2001. The story says:
Throughout his stay in the hospital, Osama Bin Laden received visits from many family members [There goes the story that he's a black sheep! MCR] and Saudi Arabian Emirate personalities of status. During this time the local representative of the C.I.A. was seen by many people taking the elevator and going to bin Laden's room. Several days later the C.I.A. officer bragged to his friends about having visited the Saudi millionaire. From authoritative sources, this C.I.A. agent visited C.I.A. Headquarters on 15th July, the day after bin Laden's departure for Quetta. According to various Arab diplomatic sources and French Intelligence itself, precise information was communicated to the C.I.A. concerning terrorist attacks aimed at American interests in the world, including its own territory. Extremely bothered, they (American intelligence officers in a meeting with French intelligence officers) requested from their French peers exact details about the Algerian activists (connected to bin Laden through Dubai banking institutions), without explaining the exact nature of their inquiry. When asked the question "What do you fear in the coming days?" the Americans responded with incomprehensible silence. On further investigation, the F.B.I. discovered certain plans that had been put together between the C.I.A. and its "Islamic friends" over the years. The meeting in Dubai is, so it would seem, consistent with "a certain American policy".
Even though Le Figaro reported that it had confirmed with hospital staff that bin Laden had been there as reported, stories printed on 1st November contained quotes from hospital staff that these reports were untrue. On 1st November, 2001, as reported by the Ananova press agency, the C.I.A. flatly denied that any meeting between any C.I.A. personnel and Osama bin Laden [had taken place] at any time.
Whom do you believe?
House of Bush, House of Saud - The Secret Relationship between the World's Two Most Powerful Dynasties, by Craig Unger, Scribner, 2004.
This book is a disturbing account of the secret relationship between the House of Bush and the House of Saud. It is, of course, also about oil and, as such, Unger, I feel, has missed am opportunity to put the relationship into a broader perspective.
First, it is an unfortunate, yet inescapable fact that more than half of the world's known reserves of oil lie within Islamic countries, stretching from the Mediterranean, through Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Iran, the Caucasian states to the boundaries of Afghanistan and Pakistan. Second, America has a satellite state, Israel, which it will protect in whatever circumstances, and third, that this is underpinned by the powerful Jewish lobby which seeks to influence American Middle Eastern policy. President Truman recognised the power of this lobby as far back as 1945. Closely related to this has been President George W. Bush's adoption of neoconservative policies of an oil-rich administration which sees them as the only way to safeguard the national interest in the 21st century
Unger defines the House of Bush in his appendices to his book. Two presidents, father George Bush and his son President George W. Bush, James A. Baker III, Frank Carlucci, a former Secretary of Defence, Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld and the awesomely funded Carlyle Group come within this definition.
The House of Saud is defined as including the de facto ruler of Saudi Arabia, Prince Abdullah, Prince Ahmed, a nephew of the ailing King Fahd and perhaps the most important of them all Prince Bandar, the long-term Saudi Ambassador to the United States and a very close friend of George Bush Snr., the ex-President. Also, within this House are the bin Ladens, renowned for their vast construction industry, whose founder, Mohammed bin Laden is the father of Osama bin Laden, the head of al Qa'eda. Significantly, Mohammed constructed the holy sites of Mecca and Medina.
Unger systematically explains how the House of Bush came to be enmeshed politically, financially and socially with the House of Saud. The extent to which the relationship develops cannot solely be explained by the need to ensure American access to reasonably priced Saudi oil but also to the rich pickings that accompanied it. Dick Cheney was the Chief Execu-tive of Halliburton, a powerful company paid to develop Saudi oilfields, who received $34,000,000 during his last year with the company but without relinquishing more than 400,000 stock options when he became Vice-President. George Bush Snr., in marrying oil to politics was a one-time member of the Carlyle Group and acted as its senior adviser until October, 2003. Even so, he still addresses the Group, receiving up to $100,000 per speech. George W. Bush was at one time a failed director of Harken Energy, whose involvement in outsider trading was steered away from investigation by his father who was President at the time. James Baker III was and still is a senior partner in the legal firm of Baker Botts, renowned for its protection of oil interests. Even Condoleezza Rice was involved with Chevron Oil at one time. The Cabinet is "oil-rich" and has been described as the richest ever.
The House of Saud needs no such close examination for it can be described as being Wahabi-based at home and hedonistically-based abroad. Prince Ahmed bin Sultan sought out the best bloodstock available and owned the 2000 Kentucky Derby winner. He might have had foreknowledge of the 9-11 attack but was to die later in mysterious circumstances, presumably of a heart attack. Most however were oil billionaires buying up real estate with their seemingly endless petro-dollars. Salem bin Laden, Osama's half-brother, was a friend of the Saudi banker Khalid bin Mahfouz. The most influential Saudi prince, however, was Prince Bandar, who successfully cultivated a close relationship with the House of Bush. 9-11 threatened to undermine this relationship.
But perhaps the most significant part of this book lies within the questions raised by Craig Unger, which have yet to be answered. Who authorised the use of Visa Express whereby Saudis, notably Saudis of the House of Saud were able to enter America with virtually no questions asked? Unger comments that nine of the fifteen terrorists involved with 9-11 were Saudis. Who authorised the swift, secretive getaway of so many influential Saudis after 9-11? How was it that Prince Bandar was allowed so much influence over the House of Bush as Saudi Ambassador to America? How does the Carlyle Group get away with its assertion that it does not deal in the awarding of defence contracts to Saudi Arabia when one of its companies, Vinnell, certainly does? How was Richard Clarke's advice to the National Security Council ignored, when, if taken up could have led to the destruction of al Qa'eda rather than the invasion of Iraq?* Indeed, one may question the circumstances of 9-11 itself as Unger hints and this may yet edge its way into the public domain when the relatives of those killed in 9-11 press for answers about the collapse of the Twin Towers and whether the present Bush administration sticks to its refusal to declassify important passages of Congress's report on the disaster.
* Richard Clarke was appointed by President Clinton as Chairman of the Co-ordinating Sub-Group (C.S.G.), to centralise control of intelligence, in short, the nation's first counter-terrorism czar.
(1) Taken from a feature "Neo-conservatism
Versus Liberal Internationalism: (A New Struggle For The Soul Of The
Jewish People . . . And Of Many Non-Jews". The Canadian Intelligence
Service, January/February/March, 2005.
FOOD FOR THOUGHT
I feel that instead of any inability to communicate,
there is a deliberate evasion of communication. Communication itself
between people is so frightening that rather than do that there is a
continual cross-talk, a continual talking about other things, rather
than what is at the root of their relationship
IRAQ - THE NEW HOLOCAUSTVol. 34 No. 22
30th April, 2005
"The bastards" is a somewhat unladylike but not infrequent expostulation heard as papers concerning the Middle East, mostly from the Internet, receive an intial scrutiny under a careful eye equipped with a highlighting pen. In recent years expansion of the Internet has resulted in a proliferation of material. It is no longer easy officially, or through a Mass Communications Media largely controlled by commercial as well as political considerations, to suppress uncomfortable truths. In compiling a newsletter like On Target the problem is an embarrassment of riches. Only a brief selection can be used. It also means that priorities of subject selection can change quickly. In this edition we have invoked the emotive term "Holocaust" deliberately in the case of United States atrocities in the Middle East. No detached observer, or those of later generations, can fully appreciate the lasting trauma and tragic fate of both adults and children who suffered in Europe some 60 years ago. It is unfortunate, however that, influenced by embedded political and other influences in society, the term Holocaust has been subsumed in practice to apply only to this episode during the 1939-45 War. Holocaust Memorial Day, inaugurated by the Government of Prime Minister Blair in practice embodies only a cosmetic acknowledgement of other groups, as witness the recent Moslem boycott of Holocust Memorial day (The Daily Telegraph, 21st Januaary, 2005).
The palpable lie to justify the invasion of Iraq in March, 2003, is a matter of record. It is only sustained by British and American leaders, abetted by craven political followers who condone their actions, who trample over the truth, the United Nations and Governments of other major powers that dare to question their actions. An old wartime adage was that when the British bombed, the Germans ran; when the Germans bombed, the British ran but, when the Americans bombed, they both ran. It is far, far worse than that in the Middle East as we have recorded regularly in On Target(1). To cite the brutality of British imperialism in the Middle East in the 1920s is to forget that we have passed through the age of the League of Nations, Italian atrocities in Ethopia in the 1930s and the Nazi German era. Today we have a United Nations that supposedly embodies all the enlightened humanitarian experience and principles evolved from those earlier years. In practice it is constrained to function as a cat's-paw of the United States and a convenient cover for largely Anglo-American military excursions. From the outset ill-prepared, inept and badly-led United States forces ruthlessly killed and maimed vast numbers of Iraqi men, women and children with the deliberate use of a massive arsenal of modern battlefield weaponry. The historically turbulent township of Fallujah had already suffered indiscriminate British and American bombing during the Gulf war of 1991(2). The killing of innocent civilians resumed on the ground after March, 2003, largely as a conseqeunce of misunderstanding and incompetence on the part of trigger-happy United States troops.
Note: Texts have been edited to suit the layout and practices of On Target, especially where anomalies existed in English used as a second language. Textual references have been incorporated in general references at the end of this On Target.
SHOOTING THE MESSENGER
The Pentagon has threatened to fire on the satellite uplink positions of independent journalists in Iraq, according to veteran B.B.C. war correspondent, Kate Adie. In an interview on Irish radio in March, 2003, Kate Adie said that questioned about the consequences of such potentially fatal actions, a senior Pentagon officer had said: "Who cares . . . They've been warned". According to Kate Adie, who twelve years ago covered the last Gulf War, the Pentagon attitude is "entirely hostile to the free spread of information. . . . I am enormously pessimistic of the chance of decent on the spot reporting, as the war occurs", she told Irish national broadcaster, Tom McGurk on the R.T.E.I. Radio "Sunday Show". Kate Adie made the startling revelations during a discussion of media freedom issues in the likely upcoming war in Iraq. She also warned that the Pentagon is vetting journalists according to their stance on the war and intends to take control of American journalists' satellite equipment in order to control access to the airwaves. Another guest on the show, war author Phillip Knightley, reported that the Pentagon has also threatened they "may find it necessary to bomb areas in which war correspondents are attempting to report from the Iraqi side". Kate Adie spoke further during her interview, from which this is an extract:
Independent Media: Enemy Target
Outside the parameters of these giant media corporations and their "embedded" journalists are the few journalists of independent media. Their independent reporting during the War on Iraq has annoyed the United States Administration, including Donald Rumsfeld and Collin Powell. The Guardian of London reported on 2nd April, 2003 that "An hotel in Basra being used as a base by al-Jazeera's team of correspondents in the City was shelled this morning, the Arabic television news channel has claimed. The Basra Sheraton, whose only guests are al-Jazeera journalists, received four direct hits this morning during a heavy artillery bombardment, according to the Qatar based broadcaster". The Guardian added that "al-Jazeera had officially advised the Pentagon of all relevant details pertaining to its reporters covering the war on Iraq, as stipulated by relevant international practice and conventions governing reporting of wars. The details included official headquarters of all its reporters in Basra, Mosul and Baghdad". On 8th April, 2003, al-Jazeera Television reporter Tariq Ayoub was killed by a rocket fired from an American plane at the roof of the Palestine Hotel, the most marked media centre in Baghdad. Since the beginning of the war, at least 74 journalists have died in Iraq. To date, there has been no satisfactory and impartial investigation of these mysterious killings of journalists. Although, there is no "evidence" of a systematic policy to kill journalists, it seems that a policy of preventing independent media reporting from the war is a top priority of the United States Administration. The United States role in preventing independent news from reaching the public has been widely reported since the invasion of Iraq. Independent journalists were nowhere to be seen in Iraq, and most of them have been forced to leave the country.
Note: Ghali Hassan lives in Perth, Western Australia. Giuliana Sgrena's articles can be viewed here: <www.ilmanifesto.it/pag/sgrena/en/>
THE LIQUIDATION OF A COMMUNITY
No End To Destruction In Fallujah
Iraqis returning to Fallujah have found their properties either vandalised or demolished and now live in more of a ghetto than a city, according to a national television station. Iraq's al Sharqiya Television said on Friday 31st December, 2004, that locals bussed back into the destroyed city saw the United States army knocking over even more homes. The report added: "Search operations began in the City's East, where each house was either marked with an X or an X inside a circle. X meant the house was safe, whereas the circle symbolised the house was a source of danger and was to be demolished." Speaking to al-Jazeera on Saturday, Iraqi journalist Fadil al Badrani added that a few who returned last week and had been happy to find their houses mostly intact watched in disbelief as American forces pushed their homes over in the past four days. And al Badrani said disbelief and shock was turning to anger. On Saturday, thousands of furious locals marched to the City's gates to remonstrate with troops. But it was not just the scale of destruction that angered citizens. They were also unhappy about rules imposed before being allowed to enter their city and the almost total media black out on their situation, journalists said. Most complained of United States soldiers pointing their weapons at them even in the simplest of situations, while others asked why they had been prevented from putting front doors back on to their homes. "And everyone was demanding that United States forces withdraw immediately, allow media teams into the city to document the destruction, compensate citizens for the loss of their homes, and help in reconstruction of the city", the programme reported. Others expressed health concerns, he added, particularly over decaying corpses and polluted water.
Journalists Tell Of United States Fallujah Killings
Journalist and writer Naomi Klein has also come under attack for insisting that United States forces are eliminating those who dare to count casualties. No less than the United States Ambassador to the United Kingdom, David Johnson, wrote a letter to British newspaper The Guardian that published Klein's work, demanding evidence, which she then provided. The first piece of evidence Klein sent to Johnson was that the hospital in Fallujah was raided to stop any reporting of casualties, a tactic that was later repeated in Mosul.
The first major operation by United States Marines and Iraqi soldiers was to storm Fallujah general hospital, arresting doctors and placing the facility under military control. The New York Times reported that the hospital was selected as an early target because the American military believed that it was the source of rumours about heavy casualties, noting that "this time around, the American military intends to fight its own information war, countering or squelching what has been one of the insurgents' most potent weapons". The Los Angeles Times quoted a doctor as saying that the soldiers "stole the mobile phones' at the hospital preventing doctors from communicating with the outside world".
As Dahr Jamail reports from his online diary
"doctors are now technically forbidden to talk to the media or
allow them to take photos in Iraqi hospitals unless granted permission
from the Ministry of Health and its United States adviser". Allied
to this are various reports of the United States using napalm and napalm
like weaponry in Fallujah. Jamail recounts:
The reports of the use of napalm in civilian areas are widespread, as are many other frightening allegations. The attacks on the hospitals and medical facilities in Fallujah are also in direct contravention of the Geneva Conventions. But as Richard Perle, a senior adviser to United States President George Bush said at the start of the Iraq war: "The greatest triumph of the Iraq war is the destruction of the evil of international law."
The Iranians are about to commit an "offence" far greater than Saddam Hussein's conversion to the euro of Iraq's oil exports in the Autumn of 2000. Numerous articles have revealed Pentagon planning for operations against Iran as early as 2005. While the publicly stated reasons will be over Iran's nuclear ambitions, there are unspoken macroeconomic drivers explaining the Real Reasons regarding the second stage of petro-dollar warfare Iran's upcoming euro based oil Bourse. In 2005 2006, The Tehran government has developed a plan to begin competing with New York's N.Y.M.EX.(New York Mercantile Exchange) and London's I.P.E. (International Petroleum Exchange), with respect to international oil trades using a euro denominated international oil trading mechanism. This means that without some form of United States intervention, the euro is going to establish a firm foothold in the international oil trade. Given United States debt levels and the stated neoconservative project for United States global domination, Tehran's objective constitutes an obvious encroachment on American dollar supremacy in the international oil market
Of all the enemies to public liberty war is, perhaps, the most to be dreaded because it comprises and develops the germ of every other. War is the parent of armies; from these proceed debts and taxes . . . known instruments for bringing the many under the domination of the few. . . . No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare. (James Madison, Political Observations, 1795)
Candidly stated, "Operation Iraqi Freedom" was a war designed to install a pro United States puppet in Iraq, establish multiple United States military bases before the onset of Peak Oil, and to reconvert Iraq back to petrodollars while hoping to thwart further O.P.E.C. momentum towards the euro as an alternative oil transaction currency(6). In 2003 the global community witnessed a combination of petrodollar warfare and oil depletion warfare. The majority of the world's governments especially the European Union, Russia and China were not amused and neither are the American soldiers who are currently stationed in Iraq. Indeed, the author's original pre war hypothesis was validated shortly after the war in a Financial Times article dated 5th June, 2003, which confirmed Iraqi oil sales returning to the international markets were once again denominated in United States dollars, not euros. Not surprisingly, this detail was never mentioned in the five United States major media conglomerates who appear to censor this type of information, but confirmation of this vital fact provides insight into one of the crucial yet overlooked rationales for 2003 the Iraq war.
The tender, for which bids are due by 10th June, switches the transaction back to dollars the international currency of oil sales despite the greenback's recent fall in value. Saddam Hussein in 2000 insisted Iraq's oil be sold for euros, a political move, but one that improved Iraq's recent earnings thanks to the rise in the value of the euro against the dollar(7).
Deep in the Pentagon, admirals and generals are updating plans for possible United States military action in Syria and Iran. The Defence Department unit responsible for military planning for the two troublesome countries is "busier than ever", an administration official says. Some Bush advisers characterize the work as merely an effort to revise routine plans the Pentagon maintains for all contingencies in light of the Iraq war. More skittish bureaucrats say the updates are accompanied by a revived campaign by administration conservatives and neocons for more hard line United States policies toward the countries . . . . Even hard liners acknowledge that given the United States military commitment in Iraq, a United States attack on either country would be an unlikely last resort; covert action of some kind is the favoured route for Washington hard liners who want regime change in Damascus and Tehran. . . . Administration hawks are pinning their hopes on regime change in Tehran by covert means, preferably, but by force of arms if necessary. Papers on the idea have circulated inside the administration, mostly labeled "draft" or "working draft" to evade congressional subpoena powers and the Freedom of Information Act. Informed sources say the memos echo the Administration's abortive Iraq strategy: oust the existing regime, swiftly install a pro United States government in its place (extracting the new regime's promise to renounce any nuclear ambitions) and get out. This daredevil scheme horrifies American military leaders, and there's no evidence that it has won any backers at the cabinet level(8).
To date, one of the more difficult technical
obstacles concerning a euro based oil transaction trading system is
the lack of a euro denominated oil pricing standard, or oil "marker"
as it is referred to in the industry. The three current oil markers
are United States dollar denominated, which include the West Texas Intermediate
crude (W.T.I.), Norway Brent crude, and the U.A.E. (United Arab Emirates)
Dubai crude. However, since the spring of 2003, Iran has required payments
in the euro currency for its European and Asian-A.C.U. (Asian Clearing
Union) exports although the oil pricing for trades are still denominated
in the dollar(9). Therefore, a potentially significant news development
was reported in June, 2004, announcing Iran's intentions to create an
Iranian oil Bourse. (The word "bourse" refers to a stock exchange
for securities trading, and is derived from the French stock exchange
in Paris, the Federation Internationale des Bourses de Valeurs.) This
announcement portended competition would arise between the Iranian oil
bourse and London's International Petroleum Exchange (I.P.E.), as well
as the New York Mercantile Exchange (N.Y.M.EX). It should be noted that
both the I.P.E. and N.Y.M.EX are owned by American corporations.
Iran is to launch an oil trading market for Middle East and O.P.E.C. producers that could threaten the supremacy of London's International Petroleum Exchange. . . . He [Mr. Asemipour] played down the dangers that the new exchange could eventually pose for the I.P.E. or N.Y.M.EX, saying he hoped they might be able to cooperate in some way. . . . Some industry experts have warned the Iranians and other O.P.E.C. producers that Western exchanges are controlled by big financial and oil corporations, which have a vested interest in market volatility. The I.P.E., bought in 2001 by a consortium that includes B.P., Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley, was unwilling to discuss the Iranian move yesterday. "We would not have any comment to make on it at this stage," said an I.P.E. spokeswoman(10).
It is unclear at the time of writing, if this project will be successful, or could it prompt overt or covert United States interventions thereby signaling the second phase of petrodollar warfare in the Middle East. News articles in June, 2004, revealed the discredited neoconservative sycophant Ahmed Chalabi may have revealed his knowledge to Iran regarding United States military planning for operations against that Nation.
Regardless of the potential United States response to an Iranian petroeuro system, the emergence of an oil exchange market in the Middle East is not entirely surprising given the domestic peaking and decline of oil exports in America and the United Kingdom in comparison to the remaining oil reserves in Iran, Iraq and Saudi Arabia. According to Mohammad Javad Asemipour, an advisor to Iran's oil ministry and the individual responsible for this project, this new oil exchange is scheduled to begin oil trading in March, 2005
Asemipour said the platform should be trading crude, natural gas and petrochemicals by the start of the new Iranian year, which falls on 21st March, 2005. He said other members of the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries Iran is the producer group's second largest producer behind Saudi Arabia as well as oil producers from the Caspian Region would eventually participate in the exchange(12).
(Note: the most recent Iranian news report from 5th October, 2004, stated: "Iran's oil bourse will start trading by early 2006", which suggests a delay from the original 21st March, 2005, target date)(13). Additionally, according to the following report, Saudi investors may be interested in participating in the Iranian oil exchange market, further illustrating why petrodollar hegemony is becoming unsustainable:
Chris Cook, who previously worked for the I.P.E. and now offers consultancy services to markets through Partnerships Consulting L.L.P. in London, commented: "Post 9-11, there has also been an interest in the project from the Saudis, who weren't interested in participating before. Others familiar with Iran's economy said [that] since 9-11, Saudi Arabian investors are opting to invest in Iran rather than traditional Western markets as the Kingdom's relations with the United States have weakened. Iran's Oil Ministry has made no secret of its eagerness to attract much needed foreign investment in its energy sector and broaden its choice of oil buyers. . . . Along with several other members of O.P.E.C., Iranian oil officials believe crude trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange and the I.P.E. is controlled by the oil majors and big financial companies, who benefit from market volatility(14).
The implementation of the proposed Iranian oil Bourse (exchange) in 2005-2006 if successful in utilising the euro as its oil transaction currency standard essentially negates the necessity of the previous two criteria as described by Mr Yarjani regarding the solidification of a "petro-euro" system for international oil trades(16). It should also be noted that during 2003 2004 Russia and China have both increased their central bank holdings of the euro currency, which appears to be a coordinated move to facilitate the anticipated ascendance of the euro as a second World Reserve currency(17)(18). In the meantime, the United Kingdom is uncomfortably juxtaposed between the financial interests of the United States (New York-Washington) banking nexus and that of the European Union financial centre (Paris-Frankfurt). The immediate question for Americans? Will the neoconservatives attempt to intervene covertly and-or overtly in Iran during 2005 in an effort to prevent the formation of a euro denominated crude oil pricing mechanism? Commentators in India are quite correct in their assessment that a United States intervention in Iran is likely to prove disastrous for the United States, making matters much worse regarding international terrorism, not to mention potential effects on the American economy:
It is abundantly clear that a second Bush term will bring a confrontation and possible war with Iran during 2005. Colin Powell as the [now replaced by Condoleezza Rice] Secretary of State, has moderated neoconservative military designs regarding Iran, but Powell has stated that he will be leaving at the end of Bush's first term. [Of course if John Kerry wins in November, he might pursue a similar military strategy. However, it is my opinion that Kerry is more likely to pursue multilateral negotiations regarding the Iranian issues]. Clearly, there are numerous risks regarding neoconservative strategy towards Iran. First, unlike Iraq, Iran has a robust military capability. Secondly, a repeat of any "Shock and Awe" tactics is not advisable given that Iran has installed sophisticated anti ship missiles on the Island of Abu Musa, and therefore controls the critical Strait of Hormuz(20). In the case of a United States attack, a shut down of the Strait of Hormuz where all of the Persian Gulf-bound oil tankers must pass could easily trigger a market panic with oil prices skyrocketing to $100 per barrel or more. World oil production is now flat out, and a major interruption would escalate oil prices to a level that would set off a global Depression. Why are the neoconservatives willing to takes such risks? Simply stated their goal is United States global domination.
Newsweek has learned that the C.I.A. and D.I.A. (Defence Intelligence Agency), have war gamed the likely consequences of a United States pre emptive strike on Iran's nuclear facilities. No one liked the out-come. As an Air Force source tells it, "The war games were unsuccessful at preventing the conflict from escalating(22).
Despite the impressive power of the United States Military and the ability of our intelligence agencies to facilitate "interventions", it would be perilous and possibly ruinous for the United States to intervene in Iran given the dire situation in Iraq. The Monterey Institute of International Studies provided an extensive analysis of the possible consequences of a preemptive attack on Iran's nuclear facilities and warned of the following:
Considering the extensive financial and national policy investment Iran has committed to its nuclear projects, it is almost certain that an attack by Israel or the United States would result in immediate retaliation. A likely scenario includes an immediate Iranian missile counterattack on Israel and American bases in the Gulf, followed by a very serious effort to destabilize Iraq and foment all out confrontation between the United States and Iraq's Shi'ite majority. Iran could also opt to destabilize Saudi Arabia and other Gulf states with a significant Shi'ite population, and induce Lebanese Hizbollah to launch a series of rocket attacks on Northern Israel. . . . An attack on Iranian nuclear facilities . . . could have various adverse effects on United States interests in the Middle East and the world. Most important, in the absence of evidence of an Iranian illegal nuclear program, an attack on Iran's nuclear facilities by the United States or Israel would be likely to strengthen Iran's international stature and reduce the threat of international sanctions against Iran. Such an event is more likely to embolden and expand Iran's nuclear aspirations and capabilities in the long term . . . one thing is for certain, it would not be just another Osirak. (23).
I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts. (Abraham Lincoln)
(1) On Target, passim.
|© Published by the Australian League of Rights, P.O. Box 27 Happy Valley, SA 5159|